Sunday, July 22, 2012

I get so emotional baby.... - Whitney Houston

It is a definite sign that you've been gone too long when you log in to update you blog, and the WHOLE program has changed. Like I don't even know how to run this thing anymore. I'm really hoping I don't hit the publish button at the end of this thing, and my computer blows up, because that will really bum me out. Another indication that I've been slacking a bit too much may be seen in the inch of dust on my keyboard. But oh well! I put on my dust mask, and here I am - hoping I'll figure out this new blogspot system by the time I'm done rambling.

The reason for my absence has been...well, there is more than one reason...but one of the biggest is: for the last few months I've been severely off my game - like dealing with some pretty insane emotional crap that I didn't even know was an issue for me until all of the sudden BAM! it hit me in the face. It then proceeded to kick me in the crotch, and then sit on me and hold me down. I'm not the hugest fan of emotions, anyway. I feel like the wrong ones always surface at the most inopportune times - - or maybe that's just me? Anyway, I know this is vague - but trust me - I've been a damn mess. I didn't just fall off the wagon. I was shoved off the wagon, breaking both hands and a leg on the way down. So although I've thought about sitting down and clacking (my term for typing) out some cleansing shit was tempting, I was more than slightly concerned it would basically read as a fairly detailed list of how everyone could go F themselves. Super-positive, right. Well - that's the head-space I've been in. While fully taking responsibility for the majority of my shortcomings, I'm also dealing with a fair amount of the blame game - like it's the responsibility of anyone else that life is repeatedly kicking me in the metaphorical balls.

So, anywho - I've been trying to work through that. And sometimes when you're on the mad/sad teeter-totter you are willing to try anything. Along the way I tried a series of bordering on the insane things to rid myself of my funk. The list below should help you get a small glimpse into the abyss that was my emotional state.

  • Chopping all your hair off. I thought I remembered something about Lenny Kravitz cutting off his dreads because they were the place where all of his past negativity was stored. Now - I may have just made that up, or may have been trying to channel my inner-sexy/odd man - but whatever prompted it, it didn't work. I don't regret it. It's hair, it will grow back. But it change a damn thing, other than making my head feel marginally lighter.
  • Pizza. As much as you want to believe the most delicious all around thing on the planet will somehow make your soul not hurt, it doesn't help. What it does do is make Remus gloat like the self-serving jackwad that he is. So do yourself a favor, put down the pizza and walk away...and then keep walking. It's good for you.
  • Avoiding everyone. Actually - this one might not have been so bad. When you're in the midst of your MamaNat and Funky Bunch episode, one shouldn't force themself onto others.  When negative is an understatement, no one needs to deal with that crap. Don't harsh everyone else's mellow - just leave them be. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. If you can't be fun to be around, keep your ass to home. One in the same.
  • Cheetos, French Fries, Beer, Milli Vanilli's, wine, destructive food, destructive drink, you get the point, etc. See Pizza above. And seriously - how many times do you need to hear about not stuffing down your emotions with food before you get it?!?! For me - apparently infinity. The only thing you'll feel is worse. It might not be until you swallow the last bite, but you will.
This is just a few. Around the beginning of July I recalled that there was thing....it's called exercise...and it's supposed to make you feel better. It produces these things called endorphins, and they are natural joy-providers. I know it has worked for me in the past, but how easily I forget. So I made it a goal to walk at least a mile every day. I may be doing it alone, or there may be some silently following along. I've missed a couple of days, but for the most part have gotten it in. And I am starting to feel sort of human again.

I'm glad summer is here. It's providing me with a lot of vitamin D, and helps fruits and veggies taste better. I'm working on getting back on the wagon.

Maybe I'll have my crap back together by the time my hair grows out? Maybe.....

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are feeling better Natalie....! I know how funks can go and no fun at all....glad you weathered the storm and hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete

Please share! Or email me at: slimmingdowntosexy@gmail.com