Monday, May 24, 2010

I think I can...I think I can

I have found a new love...or maybe not so much love...but maybe like...or preference.  I have always had a bit of an issue with boredom, and the gym.  I guess I think "always" may be an overstatement, considering I have taken a long hiatus from my gym visiting on many, many, many occasions.  When I have been diligent about my gym attendance - I do get bored easily.  I can only spend so much time on a treadmill, or eliptical machine - and I am not where I need to be cardiovascularly, in order to attend the classes.  I usually just burn myself out, and stop going - super-healthy, right!?!  Instead of finding a solution to the problem, just keep doing the same thing and hoping for a different result.  Isn't that the definition of insanity?  It is official...I guess I am insane.

Thanks to my friend Darcy dragging me off to the local park/trail system, I have found something I enjoy doing - that is also helping me get my butt moving.  There are a lot of different options, so you don't end up having to do the same walk each time.  There are some that have more hills/incline (one of my major enemies) than others - and you don't really know until you are into it what the hike will be like.  Today I went out, and made a plan for a new trail.  When I got about 1/2 way through my planned walk, the trail I planned to take was closed.  I adjusted my path, and headed on what I will now be referring to as my "Biggest Loser" trail (at the end of the season, all of the remaining contestants hike the hill behind the ranch, and it allows them to look over the ranch, etc - once they get to the top).  There were more inclines than usual, including one real doozy about 1/2 way through - - I think I almost sacrificed one of my lungs on the trip to the top (Shout out to Jason and the Italy hike some of them did).  I had to give myself a self-talk not to stop 1/2 way up and catch my breath!  Once I got to the top it was worth it - you get to look out over this huge open area, and the tops of all of the trees.  There is a bench at the top, where you can sit and enjoy the view.  As tempting as that was, I feared if I sat down, I may never get back up.  This path (#40) also gives you no option for escape while you are on it....so you have to do the entire thing - which helps me not be the quitter I sometimes long to be.  Eventually, I made it back down the trail safe and sound.  My first solo walk was completed with no injuries, and I was able to get rid of a  LOT of sweat!

 I will be taking a bit of a hiatus from blogging (because I am busy, not in the throws of an all out emotional crisis.  I am out of my emotional crisis of a couple of weeks ago) because I need to get my belongings packed and moved by noon on the 31st.  My sister is (hopefully) closing on her new townhouse this Friday.  I am going to have lots of work to do on that - and then I am moving to Milwaukee the last weekend in June.  I will be back to blogging on July 1st - and I hope you rejoin me at that time!  Have a great June, everyone!  Hope to hear from you in July!

2 comments:

  1. nat (er, nad? i remember you always hated NAT in softball! plus, it just sounds so 90210 - peach pit),

    just wanted to say you rock for not letting yourself get down and for sticking with it! the crappy weather was enough to frustate and depress anyone. keep up the kick a$$ work and good luck with the move! can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A shout out to those of us with one lung! That second one is just dead weight. Besides sometimes the views are worth the loss :) I am super happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Please share! Or email me at: slimmingdowntosexy@gmail.com