Monday, May 3, 2010

Oh How We've Grown

And by "We've", I mean me - and all other severely overweight people.  And I am not talking about emotional growth - I am talking physical growth, girth, padding....fat.  I realized this weekend that I should have had classic cars on my list of enemies of the overweight girl!

My dad used his winter to restore his dream car - a 1956 Buick (sample picture to the left - this is not my pop's car, however.  His is yellow & black - like a bumblebee).  It is great! He had his colors picked out since he was 7 (he is now 57) - and has used every spare second to "tinker" with it.  I had my virgin run driving it on Sunday - and was not so pleased to realize that I barely fit behind the wheel!  Thank God I went to FC when I did!  If I would have been carrying around the 54 pounds I have lost, I NEVER would have fit!  The seat belt didn't even get close to fitting (who used seat belts in 1956, anyway?  I didn't even have a car seat as a baby!) but that wouldn't have been an issue!  I was so crammed in behind the wheel, that in the event of a crash I wasn't going anywhere!!  Instead of driving with my knee, I got to drive with my FUPA!  I am so talented!  I just thought that was a glaring example of how things have changed!  I am certain there were overweight people back in the 50's - but I am also certain it wasn't nearly as prevalent as it is now.  It was crazy!  Nearly not fitting behind the wheel was also a little more incentive to keep moving my butt!  One of these days I will fit behind the wheel comfortably....the seat belt may never fit, however!

This weekend I walked (slowly) my 2nd 5K - it was called From the Heart in Owatonna.  Thank you to Nina for walking with me!  I was having a week, last week, where I did not want to do anything.  I had to give myself pep talks to get any exercising done - and that continued into Saturday.  I didn't feel like doing the walk - so I really appreciate Nina putting up with me!  They also had a 1/2 marathon which a few friends (shout out to Mitz, Dawn, Kelly & Molly for doing the longer run!  Kelly had her personal best time - Congrats!!)  From there I got ready and out to the church for my grandparent's 60th anniversary (you read that correctly - 60th!!!  Shout out to Ed & Kay!  It is amazing - who likes each other that long?!?!) party.  It went really well.  We got cleaned up and headed back to my parents' house for more family bonding.

The unfortunate part of my weekend was that I pretty much ate like crap (Bars, dips, pizza, buffalo chicken sandwiches, french fries).  The good news is that I did get some exercise on Saturday, and I did get back to eating right and going to the gym today.  I'm trying to cut myself some slack.  I can't live and simultaneously never eat things that are bad for me.  Well....I probably could - but I am not sure I would count it as "living".

Happy Monday, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share! Or email me at: slimmingdowntosexy@gmail.com