One of the treats my nutritionist at the DFC told me about, was a pizza made on a whole wheat tortilla. I am not going to lie to you - I was more than a little skeptical that this would be something I would like. I figured the tortilla would taste kind of gross, and it wouldn't be anything like Carbone's (shout out to the greatest pizza EVER!). I mean - obviously, healthier options are not going to be like delicious non-healthy pizza - but I was sure it was going to be gross. Definitely not capable of tricking me into thinking I was eating pizza. I was wrong! It was SO GOOD!! And it was only 355 calories! The sodium was higher than I eat for most of my meals, but also much lower than eating regular pizza - so I have to count that as a win! Here is the calorie breakdown:
- 170 calories - whole wheat tortilla (cook in a 400 degree oven for 2-4 minutes on each side, until it is crispy. When using a toaster oven, it took a bit longer) Make sure it is crispy! This will save it from having that gross raw tortilla taste! When it is toasted on both sides, add the following:
- 35 calories - 1/4 cup Prego pasta sauce (I just use pasta sauce, rather than having to buy pizza and pasta sauce)
- 70 calories - turkey pepperoni. You get 17 slices for only 70 calories, and it is GOOD!
- 80 calories - 1/3 cup part-skim mozzerella cheese
- I was contemplating adding peppers - but wanted to give it one try this way before I messed with it. Adding any veggies you like to this is like zero calories - so go for it!
- I cooked it for about 15 minutes in my toaster oven at 400 degrees. Just until the cheese was melted and golden brown.
Hope things are going well for all of you! I'll try to get back on track with updating this blog. I just went through a few days where I had to use my focus on trying not to eat crap, and move my rear!