Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I'm going to put my (snow) boot in SAD's ass!

Last week was a colossal failure. I was lazy, and ate like crap. I went back to MN for the weekend, and things didn't improve there. I am going to just go ahead and blame it on this gray, depressing weather! The older I get, the more I think SAD is a legit issue! Sure...deep down I know it is my own issue. That I'd rather sit on my couch than go work hard at the gym. That I'd rather eat something super-delicious than something that is super-good-for-me.

The truth is, winter sucks. It is cold, and dreary, and depressing. I don't embrace outdoor activities. I hate the idea of having to bundle up, and get in a cold car, and get out at your cold destination. It all sucks. Winter puts me in a foul mood. I should probably move south, but it just isn't going to happen. I have all of my friends and family in the tundra, so it is probably about time I find a responsible way of dealing with it. My current reaction: huddling up on the couch, under a blanket - doesn't seem to be the  most enlightened way to deal with the issue. Step one of my new outlook is to embrace shoveling (which I honestly don't even mind. It is WAY better than raking, and I haven't found any corpses so far!) as the good exercise that it is. Bundle up, and get it done.

For the next month (my remaining time in WI) I am going to force myself to be more constructive in my dealings with my winter-induced-sadness. I am going to go to the gym 6 days a week, and soak in the fluorescent lighting. I am going to try and convince myself that it is the sun. On the third and sixth days of the week - I am going to treat myself to some time in the tanning bed. (not to worry - I am a lover of sunscreen, and avoid sunburn at all costs) I just need a few minutes of faux-sun to snap me out of my funk. I figure it's worth a shot...right?


I have my new mission starting soon, and a lot of miles to put on each week, so the gym will be a necessity. It is just as warm there as it is at home. I get to watch TV. It is basically like a moving couch! And all of the movement keeps me really warm, and really sweaty - so I've got that working for me as well! 


I'm going to eat as well as I can. The reality is, that this freezing cold weather doesn't make me want to eat salads and fruit. It makes me want to eat pasta and pizza. I will fight that as often as I can, while simultaneously trying to keep myself satisfied so I don't go completely off the rails. I am choosing my battles. I know I need to eat healthy the bulk of the time - and will make myself lighter options of some faves. I will be as good as I can be. And hope that is enough. 


Do you guys suffer from winter blues? If so, how do you fight it?

1 comment:

  1. SAD gets to me a lot. But it also causes joints to hurt a lot. The cold that is. And wearing extra clothing just makes me feel more bulky. It is important, according to everything I have read to get outside even when it is clouded over and spend at least 15 minutes outside every day. So far I don't have the nerve if it is under 45 degrees. But I keep on keepin on.

    ReplyDelete

Please share! Or email me at: slimmingdowntosexy@gmail.com