Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Challenge : Cooking for One

I am just going to put it out there...I have weird food stuff.  I have really weird food stuff where meat is concerned.  I, as a rule, don't care for left-overs (except for pasta, which is somehow almost better warmed up).  Any actual food I try to portion and put in the freezer will typically be thrown away because I think it was freezer burnt, and will taste weird.  I can rarely eat frozen meals (lean cuisines, smart ones, etc) that contain meat.  I cannot reheat anything in plastic, in the microwave - I am certain (or my nutso brain tells me) that it doesn't taste right. 

So how does a single girl, living alone, combat these things?  I can attempt to adjust the recipes, which seems like a decent option - but then you're wasting ingredients (I have found many call for a "can" of something...and storing the unused food doesn't seem like a great option).  When you are trying to be thrifty, and cook well - the pressure multiplies! 

I was looking through a number of my cookbooks and cooking light magazines last night - trying to find that next great dish that is going to keep me on the straight and narrow where healthy eating is concerned.  So many of them have outrageous numbers of servings!  Especially my cookbook from Fat Camp.  There was one that had like 12 servings and the first thing on the list was 57 ounces of chicken.  FIFTY-SEVEN OUNCES!!  Come on!  I guess I can save those up for extended family gatherings....because that certainly isn't going to work for me!  The only recipe that makes a lot of servings (16) and I am still comfortable making or myself is the one for Chocolate Tofu Parfaits (yum).  Apparently, I am willing to abandon all of my weird freezer issues if chocolate is involved - which I think is well within my rights....right?

So I have devised a plan to trick my brain.  I am going to marinate a ton of chicken, and grill it all at once (let's face it... grilling makes everything - even left-overs - taste better!) so I don't have to start up the grill every day.  I have then planned out a number of ingredients I can use to mask the fact that it is reheated when I make sandwiches (I will forward good recipes and calorie counts as I make them).  I will also be making the baked ziti from FC and adding chicken like I did while I was there.  There is so much deliciousness going on otherwise, my poor stupid brain will never know!  And last but not least, I can cut it up cold, and put it on salads.  Sometimes I get a little weird about warm chicken on my salads anyway - and cooking it myself insures it is cooked thoroughly (another thing I get weirded out by).  I also found the recipe for chicken caesar wraps from FC, which I remember being fairly delicious, so I can make those (they also include my fave Caesar dressing I found at FC, and currently have about 5 bottles of).

The only meal that isn't an issue is breakfast.  I am sure at some point I will get sick of my staple meal, but until then - I am going to roll with it.  It is delicious, nutritious, and easy - and FILLING! 
One whole egg + 3 egg whites (120 cals)
1/4 cup diced peppers (I use yellow/orange/red because they are prettier - 15 cals)
28g (thank God for my food scale) of mozz cheese, or I use the 50% light cheddar that I also use for the light mac and cheese (70ish calories)
frank's hot sauce (10 calories - maybe?)
1slice of whole wheat toast (100 cals)
fruit (50-75 calories for most servings) I prefer strawberries or pineapple.
I know this may seem like a lot of food, or a waste of calories - but for me it is good to get something filling in right away in the morning.  That way I am not tempted to chow ridiculous things later in the morning because I am starving before lunch.

When you have focused on food for so much of your life, and have allowed your brain to create all of these nutty rules for yourself, trying to completely revamp your eating style is a bit of a challenge.  Thankfully, I had a number of nutrition classes at the DFC that finally helped some things click.  Add veggies (which I actually do like - unlike a number of my other FC attendees) to everything - especially pasta dishes (which I love).  Volumetrics, baby!  Eat more for the same amount of cals (well...pretty much....).

Well... I am off!  Today I am going to hit Sam's club (cheap chicken and eggs) and possibly the farmer's market.  I need to go to the grocery store, and Target.  It is a pretty full day...for me.

Hope everyone had a great 4th, and has an even better week!

1 comment:

  1. Farmer's market vegetables usually do taste better, especially if they're local and organic, or at least didn't have a ton of chemicals sprayed on them.

    I used to weigh 285 pounds, and I sweated a ton, too. As I lost weight, the sweating decreased. (I had RNY Gastric Bypass in 2003.) But think of the sweating as a blessing, because sweating helps you lose weight.

    Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete

Please share! Or email me at: slimmingdowntosexy@gmail.com