Sunday, October 24, 2010

SDtS Mission 101 - Week 1

Welcome to the week one results....entry! Week one was really successful for some, and not so much for others. Who of us, that have tried to turn over the proverbial new leaf where health is concerned, hasn't suffered setback on more than one occasion? I am one big (literally) walking example of setback. This week I had areas of huge success, and areas of colossal failure, where my own goals were concerned.

Natalie
  • Lose ____ pounds to get to 101 total LBs lost (still unknown - have to find a scale for larger than average measuring. aka: my bod)
  • 5 days a week of weights & 40 minutes of cardio + 1 day of 60 minutes cardio (yes!)
  • Track all calories eaten (BOO!! Major opportunity for improvement)
  • eat within calorie range (BOO!! Major opportunity for improvement)
  • No caffeine (Monday - Friday = Good, Saturday = 1 Diet Mt Dew)
As you can see - I have lots of areas that could be much better. I am totally inspired and motivated by you guys - which is one of the great things about doing this as a group. Don't give up! Stick with it! And we can all improve our health - and hopefully have some fun doing it! Use the Facebook page! If you're having a frustrating day, vent. If you're having a great day, let everyone know. If you just had a great snack, share it. We don't need to just update one time per week - we can do it every day, hour or minute! It is going to help all of us get to our goals! Let's rock this sh*t!!! 

I liked what Kateo had to say about her mental state this week: "Even though the scale didn't show it (much), my attitude was much lighter. I think just waking up knowing that I am doing something about my weight rather than just sulking about it, makes such a difference in how I start my day."

Before I get to all of the results for this week - I have 2 new people to introduce. The updates are put in (parenthesis) behind the original goals. RNR=Results Not Reported.

NEW MEMBER: Carrot Top
  • Lose 50 pounds
  • Drop 3 sizes
  • Exercise 3x/week for 30-40 minutes
  • SHARE: Just started this.  Great bike ride today.  Working on the exercise and going to bed earlier. Need more discipline around food. Skipped having cookies after dinner. Drinking wine instead!!!
NEW MEMBER: Mackenzie
  • Keep her weight in 5 pound range
  • Exercise 4x/week with 2 cardio days (yes!)
  • Eat pizza 1x/week or less (yes!)
  • No fast food for lunch (yes!) 
  • SNACK: Fat free vanilla yogurt with unsalted roasted almonds and crasins=yummy healthy treat! 

Linda Lou
  • Lose 25 pounds (Lost 5 pounds)
  • exercise 2 times per week (yes!)
  • eat at least 5 fruits and/or veggies per day (4 times)
  • QUESTION: Does anyone have any tips for beating sugar cravings?
Nina
  • Lose 25 pounds (Lost 2.6 pounds)
Stephanie K (aka: Steaming Myself to Hotness)
  • Lose 17 pounds (Lost 5 pounds)
  • see her clavicles (in progress)
  • WHAT SHE LEARNED THIS WEEK: Chocolate chips (because that is the only chocolate you had in the house) do not help you better understand how to figure out the break-even calculation of a small regionally owned beer corporation (ie the homework I wasn't understanding).
Dawn
  • Lose 10 pounds (Lost 1 pound)
  • exercise 4 times per week (yes!) 
  • SHARE: Successful so far ;)
 Lisa
  • Lose 30 pounds (Same weight as last week)
  • SHARE: I have been doing a regimine of wt training and aerobic excersize 5 times a week. The problem is it ups my appt. so much I have been loading up on healthy foods but I think just too much of them! My wt has stayed the same my jeans are fitting better so there is some hope. I'm just pissed because after all the wt i lost my md tells me to excersise every day and lose more wt. really!!!!!!!!!!!!
  Jason (aka: Vic Amore')
  • Lose 30 pounds (Lost 1 pound)
  • travel without the flight attendants commenting on "alleged"hangover into aisle (in progress)
  • SHARE: I did get out one night for a long walk with the pooch, 3 miles round trip to the dog park instead of driving!  She does keep the pace moving pretty well. Next week will be better with having the week off I can make more time to exercise in the morning, and hopefully counteract the calorie free weekend I will have next weekend! (Jason is getting married on October 30th!!)
Kim
  • Lose 15 pounds (Lost 1.7 pounds)
B-Linda
  • Lose 8 pounds (Lost .5 pounds)
  • get 7 hours of sleep at least 4 times per week (yes!) 
  • SHARE: I’ll take it since I had to make cookies this week and I have little self control when that happens so I had to test the cookies before I could bring them in. Plus who doesn’t like cookie dough and chocolate chips. I’ll work on behaving this next week so I can make real progress. On the sleep side, I did manage 4 nights of 7-hours. Not easy to do. Shutting the lights off is just hard…but I agree with Linda’s idea that it does prevent eating!
Kate
  • Lose 25 pounds (Lost 5 pounds)
  • walk 10,000 steps a day (4 days) 
  • QUESTION: How much sodium should you have in one day? 
  • ANSWER: The RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) is 2400mg. Just to give you an idea of how little that is when you eat at restaurants - a McDonald's Double Cheeseburger has 1150mg of sodium. In one sandwich. Seriously.
Melissa
  • Lose 10 pounds (Lost 1.9 pounds)
  • exercise at least 4 times per week (yes!) 
  • SHARE: First week went well!
cjFh
  • Lose 14 pounds (Lost 3 pounds)
  • run 151 miles (ran 16 miles)
Stephanie D
  • Lose 35 pounds (Same weight as last week)
  • prepare 3 healthy meals for her, and her family, per week (opportunity for improvement)
  • Question: I need to figure out a way to get a schedule down so I can make sure to fit this into my life....Suggestions on a schedule when you have 2 kids under 2?
Molly
  • Lose 6 pounds (Gained .4 pounds)
  • eat clean, with no binging (opportunity for improvement)
  • NEW GOAL: One can of soda per day
  • SHOUT OUT ALERT: to Nina who detered me from popcorn when I felt like I already failed for the week and talked me into sharing sun chips last night!!!
Marill
  • Lose 10 pounds (RNR)
  • be able to wear a tight shirt without a gut (RNR)
  • move a notch on her belts (RNR)
Meg
  • Lose 15 pounds (Lost 2 pounds)
  • fit into her "skinny" clothes again (in progress)
  • NEW GOAL: P90X
CCS
  • lose 25 pounds (Lost 1.4 pounds)
  • increase activity (yes!)
  • eating treats means exercise first  
  • FRUSTRATION: I worked out 4 x's this week, ate well every single day, and was really looking forward to weighing myself until.....I was reminded of how difficult and frustrating weight loss is. I know it is a start but, like you said in your blog earlier this week I need instant gratification....I am in it for the long haul though, and I am going to stick with it!  I hope everyone else had a good week!
Ann Abbe
  • lose 10 pounds (RNR)
  • exercise 5 times per week (3 times cardio & strength)
  • strength training 2 times per week 
  • NEW GOAL: Eat more healthy
  • NEW GOAL: Cut down on wine 
  • SHARE: So, week 1 wasn't the greatest for me as work was a busy one this week.  Working out in the am is the best for me, I go from 545am to 7am and had three 730am conference calls this week....boo :(  Ok, so no excuse as I should have worked out at night, but when I get stressed at work I get out of my routine....I need to start realizing that working out will help relieve that stress.  Have you found that to be the case?  I LOVE wine, so hard to resist it!!!  If I could cut back on alcohol (wine, tailgating, etc), I think I could drop five pounds in a hurry...just so dang hard to say no :)
  • Ann also has a couple of recipes that she is going to share. I'll make sure they're on the next update! 
Becca
  • Lose 25 pounds (Gained .2 pounds)
  • exercise 4 times per week (RNR)
  • fit into a size 4 (in progress)
JD
  • Lose 10 pounds (Same weight as last week) 
Kari
  • Lose 10 pounds (Lost 1 pound) 
  • SHARE: I found a great app (they also have a website) that is great for looking up calories and nutritional info for common foods, restaurants and popular brands. You can also track your weight and enter your food and exercise each day, etc. It's called food secret (foodsecret.com
Marilyn
  • Lose 25 pounds (Lost 2 pounds)
  • exercise 3 times per week (yes!)
Milt
  • Lose 40 pounds (Lost 2 pounds)
  • exercise 2 times per week (yes!)
BLUESKYE
  • Lose 33 pounds (RNR)
  • SHARE: I had a rough first week and haven't stepped on the scale this Friday...mostly because I rely on the gym scale and I didn't go yesterday :(
  • NEW GOAL: Go to the gym at least 4 times this week
  • NEW GOAL: Plan Meals
  • NEW GOAL: Weigh in on Friday no matter what
  • NEW GOAL: Keep a positive attitude :-)
  • GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!! 
Joe R
  • Lose 20 pounds (RNR)
  • swim 30 laps (RNR)
Joe A
  • Lose 20 pounds (RNR)
MCS
  • Lose 15 pounds (Lost 2.4 pounds)
  • SHARE: Week one was painful. Water is my new friend. Quenches thirst and makes me feel full!
Bry-Guy
  • Lose 10 pounds (Lost 3.6 pounds)
Michelle
  • Lose 10 pounds (RNR)
Rustin
  • Lose 15 pounds (RNR)
  • stop smoking (RNR) 
  • SHARE: I'm not on track just found a belly fat diet I'm going to try
SDtS Waseca Chapter (SHOUT OUT!!) 
Members: Camille, Kateo  Patrice (The goals are the same for all members)
  • Lose 15 pounds
  • workout 5 times per week
  • drink 6-8 glasses of water a day
  • eat 5 fruits and/or veggies a day
  • make healthy dining decisions.  More calories = more exercise
Camille
  • Lost 3.5 pounds
  • worked out 3 times
  • SHARE: I worked very hard at getting my water in and thought I'd go through withdrawal for the lack of diet dew I was consuming.  This is something I struggle with and will continue to be something I need to be conscious about.
  • SHARE: I've become reaquainted with my old friend kudos, the m & m kind taste just like a good ole candy bar and I love, love, love the new Special K fruit crisps
Kateo
  • Lost .4 pounds
  • SHARE: I rediscovered tea. (Tazo my fav!) I love my coffee, but I can't drink it black. I thought I would go on a tea jag for a while to avoid the extra calories of my coffee with cream.
  • SHARE: I am working really hard on equating exercise with brushing my teeth. I would never dream of heading out the door without brushing up, the same daily habit needs to be established with exercise.
  • Kateo also had another share, but I put that on the SDtS wall. Check it out!
 Patrice
  • (RNR) 

    The truth about trying to be healthy is that there are going to be a lot of days that suck...let's be honest - they will completely blow. But eventually you'll hit a few where it won't be so bad. Hopefully those are enough to keep you going. When they aren't, hopefully you can just avoid eating an entire pizza, with a whole cake kicker - all while sitting on the couch. It is really the most I can hope for! How about you?

    I LOVE THIS MISSION!! Let's kick some ass in week 2!

    2 comments:

    1. linda lou-

      i have heard that this supplement may help with cravings:

      Gymnema – 1 tablet 3 times per day or 2 tablets twice per day

      ReplyDelete
    2. Nat this is wonderful just reading everyones struggles and triumphs inspires me and makes me not feel alone! I love the fact that you take the time to do this for all of us! Thank-you sincerely lisa.

      ReplyDelete

    Please share! Or email me at: slimmingdowntosexy@gmail.com