Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Goal = Rebel

Before I get started, we have another Mission 101'er that reported in. Here are the results for week 1:

Stephanie
  • Gained 1 pound (Goal: 6)
  • SHARE: Yikes!!!!!! :)
*****************

I know a lot of people who are completely "goal-based". They need to continually set new goals for themselves. They always need to have that carrot dangling in front of them in order to stay motivated. They set themselves a goal, and they achieve it. It helps give them the focus they need to get to their desired end result. Nothing will get them to their destination quicker than setting goals.

Then there are people like me. I had to confess my condition to YC during our recent conversation about my new goals. Goals make me do the opposite. I think it is a side-effect of my "self-destructive personality disorder" (my made up diagnosis for my tendency to stop doing things that are good for me). I make weight loss goals, and I will gain. There is something within me that finds enjoyment from shooting myself in the foot.

I had a comment on my post yesterday from someone (it was anonymous - so I have no idea who they are. Thank you, for your suggestions!) that asked if there were ways to help me with my seeming addiction to "junk". Food, not clutter. I wish it were that simple. They made some great suggestions - most of which I have attempted to follow at some point in my life.

I have set myself rules and guidelines for eating and exercising for as long as I can remember. Tomorrow I'll get up and go to the gym before I go to work. I'll pack my lunches instead of going out to buy something. I won't stop and go through the drive-thru. I'll make a list each week, and shop for only those items. I'll cook for my week on Sunday, so I have leftovers on hand. And on, and on and on. I am great at setting up rules. I am amazing at making guidelines for myself. Need a plan put together? I'm your gal! Now executing...that's where things fall apart. I am a total cheater cheater pumpkin eater! I am a rebel without a cause. I cannot follow the rules.


So I'll just add this to my ever-growing list of things to work on. To be a rule-follower. To comply with the parameters I've set for myself. I go on stretches where it is no issue what-so-ever to eat well and exercise - as I have laid out in my plans. But then I hit stretches where I just can't. I just need to keep expanding the amount of time where I comply, and minimize the amount of time where I rebel. I can be better, and I will be better.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I would swear that you are a younger me. I have no idea why I do things sometimes. My daughter says if I am addicted to cookies just don't bring them home. Right. So instead I have brought home other addictive stuff. And I still wanted cookies. I sometimes run out of steam when I try to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete

Please share! Or email me at: slimmingdowntosexy@gmail.com